This project has moved and is read-only. For the latest updates, please go here.

Please, provide a compiled version

Apr 8, 2010 at 7:15 AM

According to emuwiki.com, there are no less than 20 Apple II emulators available. Only one of them is released in a source form only and it's Virtu.

I'll ask you this: Why going so far, spending so much time coding what *appears* to be a very fine emu, just to stop inches from the finish line and preventing the

mass from enjoying your craft? What's so hard about making a compiled version available? I don't get this.  I'm sure you'll agree that the vast majority don't

have all the necessary tools or the required knowledge to compile the source, me included. But you do. Why not just go the last *little* extra mile? I would like very much to

run and test version 0.8.1 and not having this privilege is very frustrating.

I know you can't do it for the 360 since the SDK is copyrighted by Microsoft. Less than 0.0001% of users will run this emu on a 360 anyway . I'm obviously talking about a

Windows executable here.

Regards

Apr 9, 2010 at 7:51 AM

Thanks for your interest. The short answer is that, for now, the Virtu project is geared more towards developers than end users. It's a technology driven work in progress with no user interface (for settings etc). If you're expecting something more polished and user friendly then you'd be better off using one of the many other Apple II emulators. Given these options, I'm curious what drove you to post this discussion. Do the other emulators not meet your requirements?

Of course you can expect to see a binary release when Virtu gets more end user oriented features. Presumably an executable binary release including links to the runtime redistributable prerequisites (that you'd have to install first) would be sufficient, or would you expect some sort of bootstrapping installer?

FWIW, the XBox 360 build uses XNA, not the XDK. The only barrier there is that you need to be an XNA Creators Club member to build and deploy to your Xbox 360.

Nov 30, 2010 at 4:55 AM

I recently released Virtu 0.9.0 with both source and raw binaries - but only for Silverlight, WPF and XNA+Windows; to get it onto Windows Phone 7 or Xbox 360 you need to be a registered App Hub developer anyway.

I hope this will satisfy you, but like I said above, bear in mind this project is a technology driven work in progress - still with no user interface. ;)