Inserting "cards" into the emu

Apr 29, 2010 at 12:31 AM

I have been using Apple //'s since the mid 80's.. One of the things we want to be able to do with an emulator is insert an AppleCat modem card into the emulation (looks like an AppleCat to the emulator, but is a telnet client AND server to the outside) so we can emulate a program called Diversi-Dial.. Is it possible to hook such a thing into this emulator? If so, I'd be interested to learn more about how to do so..

Glenn

Developer
Apr 29, 2010 at 12:06 PM

Hi Glenn.

Are you interested in Virtu for this project because you want to fill the emulator with AppleCat cards and hook it up to a web server using ASP.NET? ; - ) That's the only reason I can think of for choosing a C# project like ours which doesn't have a configuration GUI yet. Virtu is more platform and architecture exploration at this stage and lacking in what most people expect in an emulator. More importantly for your purposes, the only card implemented so far is a Disk II controller, so the plumbing isn't in place yet for writing cards that use $C800 ROM space via I/O strobe ($CFFF) like the AppleCat.

On the other hand, if you're considering Java then JACE should suffice. (AppleIIGo doesn't support I/O strobe either, and Kegs has some telnet emulation, but only for the GS serial ports.)

Cheers, Nick.

Apr 29, 2010 at 1:53 PM

D-Dial uses a form of Polled I/O to the cards.. So we're looking to find a //e emulation that will allow us to build on to it.. Someone built this emulation into a //+ emulator, but it lacks a lot of features because of the limitations of the //+. D-Dial uses the 80 column card to store email, and the upper/lower case capabilities of the //e, plus the clock doesn't keep proper time on a //+.. Makes it hard to use. So we're trying to find something that I could work with to attach this to for people to telnet into that's also in a language I can work with. I am a VB programmer, so working with something in C# isn't hard since all the calls in and out are fairly easy once the initial interface is built.. As for filling it with AppleCat cards, yes.. We'd want one in every slot, or at the very least 1-5 and 7, leaving 6 for a disk controller to boot from. Any ideas here? We've been hunting for years.

From: sicklittlemonkey [mailto:notifications@codeplex.com]
Sent: Thursday, April 29, 2010 7:07 AM
To: shrink908@ndos.net
Subject: Re: Inserting "cards" into the emu [virtu:210937]

Hi Glenn.

Are you interested in Virtu for this project because you want to fill the emulator with AppleCat cards and hook it up to a web server using ASP.NET? ; - ) That's the only reason I can think of for choosing a C# project like ours which doesn't have a configuration GUI yet. Virtu is more platform and architecture exploration at this stage and lacking in what most people expect in an emulator. More importantly for your purposes, the only card implemented so far is a Disk II controller, so the plumbing isn't in place yet for writing cards that use $C800 ROM space via I/O strobe ($CFFF) like the AppleCat.

On the other hand, if you're considering Java then JACE should suffice. (AppleIIGo doesn't support I/O strobe either, and Kegs has some telnet emulation, but only for the GS serial ports.)

Cheers, Nick.

Read the full discussion online.

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (virtu@discussions.codeplex.com)

To start a new discussion for this project, email virtu@discussions.codeplex.com

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe on CodePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at CodePlex.com

Developer
May 1, 2010 at 4:15 AM

Hi Glenn.

Here's what I can offer, with a few caveats.

I could implement an abstract class for peripheral cards that obey I/O Strobe behaviour (etc) for switching in a $C800 ROM. I would verify that this works with an example card that uses such a ROM. This should be enough for you to build the AppleCat card, and then you could hardcode however many you want into the slots.

If this interests you, let's discuss the caveats via email. My gmail account is nick dot westgate at (you know, the usual).

Cheers, Nick.

Developer
Nov 30, 2010 at 10:38 AM

Well, it took a bit longer than expected, but Virtu has a good peripheral card abstraction now.
The Disk II Controller card is the only example included, but it's all pretty straightforward.

If you have any questions then ask away. ; - )

Cheers, Nick.